on the road with CURIOUS GEORGE

The cast of CURIOUS GEORGE tells tales of travel.

Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Columbus, MS
...the birthplace of Tennessee Williams. We took route 82 to get here from Tuscaloosa... and friends, make no mistake... we are in the South. There are more Baptist Churches between Tuscaloosa and Columbus (only about 1.5 hours' drive) than there are ...McDonalds! My guess is that, per capita, there is a church of some reformation or other for every 6.5 Mississippians. Mississippurals? Mississippiganders?

Anyways, there are a bunch of churches in this part of the South, which I can only imagine is due to the fact that there just plain isn't anything else to do. Besides bowling, which we found, and BBQ, which we also found... and after ingesting, I assure you, there is reason to repent.

Yes, before going to Bama Bowl in Tuscaloosa last night, we were directed to Dreamland BBQ for ribs... LORDY! I swear, I've had a drawl all day -- it's the sauce, I think. The vinegar deadens all the nerves in your tongue, and then you can't help but drrrrawl allll day, ya'alllll... So, for the love of Jesus, if you're ever passing by Tuscaloosa, get off the highway, turn right at the urinal lawn ornament (NOT kidding), and you'll find yourself in Dreamland. (Just promise to leave room for Banana Pudding with Nilla wafers).

Bama Bowl was awesome, too. The more I bowl, the more I wonder if there isn't a little Polish blood in me, after all. I like it a little TOO much.. good thing it's so expensive to bowl in NYC, because I have a feeling if it were $7.00 for 2 hours, I'd be really good (and also braiding my armpit hair) in no time. Furthermore, it was Briana's first time bowling, and her scores improved impressively with each game. Even Paul, who usually hates bowling, had a good time and let us make fun of him. Almost everyone had some run-in or other with the slippery floor, or the heavier-than-hell bowling balls, or Greg screaming "GO CARA!! GOOOOOO!" Lots of insanity... no picutres, tho, except the ones burned into my head. Highlights: Paul falling over, Briana tossing the ball like she's tossing a horseshoe, Tim stealing the perfect, 10-lb ball *I* picked out, for MYSELF, Laura throwing before the guard went up, and the ball came BACK TO HER... (never saw that one, before), and the strikes Briana and I bowled for Patrick, while he was on the phone... good shit.

This morning's shows in Tuscaloosa went well, as per usual. The kids loved it; it always makes us feel great when they get it, when they laugh and cheer and answer questions asked on stage (Shep: "Where is that monkey?" kids: "HE'S ON YOUR BACK!! HE'S ON YOU!!!"). Cool venue, the Bama Theatre. (Haunted, though...creepy...)

After a short drive, we're happily installed at the Days Inn in Columbus, with two shows tomorrow morning. I should sign off... more later.

1 Comments:

At 7:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for pointing out the birth place of Mr. Williams. As you know, it's because of him (and my momma watching the tee-vee), y'all call me Laura.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home